Call Today For A Free Consultation(713) 829-4317
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
The Impact of Personal Protection Equipment on Injury Severity in Motorcycle Crashes
Wearing a helmet can significantly reduce the risk that a motorcyclist’s injuries will be severe or permanent while the absence of a helmet increases the rider’s risk of debilitating injuries or death. What was most surprising was that motorcyclists were less likely to suffer injuries to their head, neck, face or spine altogether than to their torso, skin and lower bodies.
Common Lower Body Injuries Sustained by Motorcyclists
- Broken or shattered bones and joints— injuries to the lower body can include fractured legs, feet, ankles, and knees. The massive displacement of force in motorcycle injuries increases the chance that these fractures will be more severe or that the bone may be broken in more than one place.
- Road rash— road rash occurs when the skin is dragged over a hard or rough surface, and the friction causes the skin to peel or break. Motorcyclists are at risk of suffering from road rash with or without long pants, but pants designed for motorcycle riding may reduce the severity of injuries.
- Puncture wounds and lacerations— motorcyclists are at a much higher risk of coming into close contact with debris, sharp metal and glass through the course of an accident. These deep cuts and puncture wounds pose an immediate and long-term risk to victims as foreign bodies may infect the wound. If the infection is not treated correctly or spreads too rapidly, the victim may lose the limb.
- Burns— serious accidents place riders at risk of suffering burns if they come in contact with flammable liquids or their motorcycles catch fire.
Common Upper Body Injuries Seen in Motorcycle Incidents
- Fractured or shattered arms, wrists or digits— a broken hand or wrist can limit the ability of a victim to perform even the most menial of tasks and may impact his or her ability to return to work throughout his or her physical recovery.
- Degloving injuries— these injuries received their name due to the manner in which victims lose the skin on their arm or hand due to severe road rash. It may require skin grafting to replace the lost tissue and recovery is often painful and expensive.
- Loss of limb— whether due to infection or massive trauma, victims may lose a limb such an arm, leg, hand or finger in an accident because the affected body part is unrecoverable or injured beyond the ability of doctors to repair.
Common Injuries to the Head and Spine Seen in Motorcycle Accidents
- Facial scarring and disfigurement— lacerations, contact with debris and other trauma to the face can leave permanent scars that alter the victim’s appearance and self-esteem. While some surgical procedures offer a way to reduce the appearance of scars, it may be impossible for victims to eliminate them.
- Traumatic brain injuries— whenever an accident results in trauma to the head, it is possible for the victim to suffer from traumatic brain injuries. These injuries can result in the loss of motor function, the inability to concentrate or remember relevant information, the loss of communication skills and more. Victims suffering from traumatic brain injuries may lose the ability to lead normal and independent lives.
- Injuries to the neck and spine— a broken neck or spine can leave a victim unable to walk for the rest of his or her life. These injuries are genuinely tragic and place an unfair financial burden on the victims and their families. It can cost millions of dollars to care for someone who is paralyzed over the course of his or her life.
- Loss of vision— injuries to the eyes can result in permanent vision loss, forcing the victim to learn how to live without the ability to see. Loss of sight can occur due to traumatic injuries to the eyes themselves or trauma to the brain.
Attorney Fighting to the Legal Rights of Injured Motorcycle Bikers
The Pascoe Law Firm can help you pick up the pieces following a motorcycle crash by not only helping deal with the insurance companies, but by connecting you with all of the resources you need to facilitate your physical recovery. We have access to an extensive network of medical professionals and other qualified professions that can help you focus on your recovery to cope and heal. We have successfully represented motorcyclists in Texas and throughout Houston, Galveston, League City, Webster, Pearland, Friendswood, La Porte, and Alvin. If you have been in an accident, contact us today to arrange a risk-free consultation with our Galveston / Houston area motorcycle accident attorney. We will gather all of the information we need to evaluate your case and review your legal options with you so that you can make an informed decision on how you want to proceed with your case. We work solely on a contingency fee basis, so you will never need to worry about whether you can afford our services. If you have been injured in a motorcycle wreck, contact us today for a free case review with our Motorcycle Accident Lawyer at 713-829-4317.
Attorney, John D. Pascoe and the Pascoe Law Firm, is responsible for the content on this website, principal office and only office located in Friendswood, Texas. Servicing: Alvin, Angleton, Bay City, Bacliff, Baytown, Beaumont, Clute, Conroe, Clear Lake, Dickinson, Deer Park, Freeport, Friendswood, Fort Bend County, Galveston, Galveston County, Harris County, Hitchcock, Houston, Jefferson County, Kemah, Lake Jackson, La Marque, La Porte, League City, Manvel, Montgomery County, Nassau Bay, Pasadena, Port Bolivar, Port Arthur, Pearland, Santa Fe, Seabrook, South Houston, Southbelt Ellington, Texas City, Victoria, Webster, and throughout Texas.
Pascoe Law Firm Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 65 reviews.