Pascoe Law FirmMaritime Wrongful Death Lawyer
Principal office located in Friendswood, Texas.
Available to service League City, Webster, Pearland, Galveston, and the surrounding areas within Texas.
Maritime Wrongful Death Lawyer
Maritime jobs can be some of the deadliest in the world wrongful death claims our not uncommon after accidents. We handle maritime death, maritime wrongful death, and fatal maritime accident cases. Many workers travel on vessels that are lost at sea. Others are thrown overboard in rough waters, only to have rescue attempts fail. If you have lost a loved one in a maritime accident, you may feel as if nothing will ever be the same. At the Pascoe Law Firm, we understand that nothing can replace the loss of a loved one, but we work hard to support families through this difficult time. We offer compassionate legal representation for the families of maritime workers who have been involved in fatal maritime accidents of all types.
Legal Issues Related to Maritime Death
Unfortunately, in a some maritime death cases there are no witnesses – and the insurance companies use this to their advantage. If you lose a loved one in an fatal maritime accident, it is important to hire an attorney to protect your rights, investigate the circumstances surrounding the death, and to protect the legal rights of your departed loved one. Multiple issues arise during a case in which someone has died including:
- Whether the vessel will be raised if lost at sea?
- How Long will a search and rescue continue their efforts?
- Who is responsible for paying for the funeral?
- Contacting the responsible parties’ insurance adjuster
- Obtaining Social Security death benefits for the grieving family
- Obtaining and preserving evidence by raising the vessel,
- Examining and preserving equipment and preventing the insurance company from destroying the watercraft
- Obtaining evidence of negligence and unseaworthiness that caused the death
Who Could Be Covered by A Wrongful Death Claim
Common types that could be covered by a maritime wrongful death claim:
- Seamen on Oil Tankers
- Crew of Container Ships
- Offshore Supply Boats
- Cruise Ships
As well as, other watercraft on brown water or blue water, in the Gulf of Mexico or in more distant international waters. No matter where your loved one was when the accident occurred, we can help. The law surrounding maritime accidents is complex, and employers often give seamen and their families misleading information about their rights.
Types of Fatal Maritime Accident Cases?
To recover damages for a maritime death, the victim’s family must to prove negligence or unseaworthiness, depending on the circumstances. Types of negligence and/or unseaworthiness in maritime death cases include:
- Safety precautions ignored before predicted severe weather
- Life-saving devices failed
- The ship did not have a life raft or other survival craft
- The vessel was not properly constructed or maintained
- Ships or vessels were overloaded
- Lack of stability of vessel
- Crew was improperly manned or trained
- Cargo was not properly stored
- Defective equipment
- Inadequate or lack of safety training and procedures
- Inadequate or lack of safety equipment
- Failure to follow state and/of federal statutes/regulations
- Failure to follow procedures and orders
Experienced Maritime Wrongful Death Lawyer