Call Today For A Free Consultation(713) 829-4317
How To Reduce Your Chances of A Car Accident
What Can I Do To Minimize My Chances of Having A Car Accident?
While you can never completely avoid the risk of a car accident altogether, you can significantly reduce the chance that you or your loved ones suffer serious injury or death. At the Pascoe Law Firm, we care about your safety while driving. We have seen the serious injuries that can occur a car accident. Below please find a few quick tips on how you can reduce your chances of being involved in an auto accident.
Minimize Your Chances of An Auto Accident By:
- Obey the speed limit – The NHTSA reports that 27 percent of fatal accidents are speed related – that amounts to over 10,000 deaths in 2016.
- Keep Up with Vehicle Maintenance – It is important to keep your vehicle well maintained. Rotate your tires every 3 to 5 months. If you need new tires make sure not to put off this task. Check your vehicles oil and make sure you fix any check engine lights. By keeping up with your vehicle maintenance it can decrease your chases of breaking down on the Texas roadways.
- Wear your seatbelt – Research has found that the proper use of a seatbelt reduces the risk of fatal injury to front seat passenger car occupants by as much as 45 percent and the risk of moderate-to-severe injury by up to 50 percent. Observational data from NOPUS has put seatbelt use for all U.S. passenger vehicles at around 86 percent. Buckle up.
- Use car safety seats for children – According to the NHTSA, proper use of child safety seats reduces the risk of fatal injury by 71 percent for infants and by 54 percent for toddlers in passenger car accidents.
- Keep up with safety recalls for your vehicle – 2014 had the most recalls with automakers issuing more than 550 recalls for more than 52 million vehicles. Some of the recalls are for minor issues, but many were issued to fix very real safety issues. For example, Ford issued a recall for 2 parts in the ignition of several models that could cause the car to shut off and loose steering and prevent the airbag from deploying. You can search for recalls by vehicle make and model or by entering your car’s VIN into the database at safercar.gov.
- Don’t drink and drive – While this may seem like it’s common sense, in 2017 there were 10,874 Alcohol-Impaired driving fatalities. That equates to one death every 48 minutes. The economic damage in 2010 from accidents where alcohol was a factor was $44 billion. The reach of drunk driving accidents stretches far further than just the intoxicated driver, of the 10,874 fatalities only 6,618 were the driver. That’s just over 60%. 4,256 non-impaired people died at the hands of drunk drivers in 2017.
- Watch out for pedestrians – In 2012, 4,743 pedestrians were killed by cars in the United States and the vast majority were not at intersections. For more information about this topic, visit our pedestrian accidents page.
If Injured In A Car Accident, Call A Experienced Lawyer First!
Please visit our main Car Accident page to see the full scope of cases we can handle.
Attorney, John D. Pascoe and the Pascoe Law Firm, is responsible for the content on this website, principal office and only office located in Friendswood, Texas. Servicing: Alvin, Angleton, Austin, Bayou Vista, Bacliff, Baytown, Beaumont, Brookside Village, Brownsville, Clear Lake, Chambers County, Corpus Christi, Dallas, Danbury, Dickinson, Deer Park, Eagle Shale Ford, El Lago, Friendswood, Fresno, Fort Bend County, Fort Worth, Galveston, Galveston County, Galveston Island, Harlingen, Harris County, Hitchcock, Houston, Jefferson County, Kemah, Lake Jackson, La Marque, La Porte, League City, Laredo, Liberty County, Manvel, McAllen, Montgomery County, Nassau Bay, Orange, Pasadena, Port Bolivar, Port Arthur, Pearland, Rio Grande Valley, Rosharon, Santa Fe, San Antonio, San Leon, Seabrook, Shoreacres, Sienna Plantation, South Houston, South Padre Island, Southbelt Ellington, Taylor Lake Village, Texas City, Tiki Island, Victoria, Webster, and throughout Texas.
Pascoe Law Firm Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 60 reviews.