Pascoe Law FirmHead Injuries
Principal office located in Friendswood, Texas.
Available to service League City, Webster, Pearland, Galveston, and the surrounding areas within Texas.
Head Injury Lawyer
Types of Head Injuries
Head injuries can occur when a jolt to the head results in the disruption of the function of the brain. The severity of head injuries can range from a mild concussion to coma or death. Even seemingly minor brain and head injuries can result in serious lifelong consequences. While often victims suffer minimal outward physical manifestations of a head or brain injury, they instead possess closed head injuries. As a result, many victims do not receive appropriate care and treatment for the disabilities that follow, including physical, cognitive, psychological, and social impairments. Head and brain injuries vary in terms of type and severity, but the following are some common types of head and brain injuries:
- Concussion – a concussion can occur when the head sustains trauma through impact or sudden movement, and a concussion can result in confusion, blurred vision, memory loss, nausea and, in some severe cases, unconsciousness. Repeated concussions have also been known to result in lifelong medical problems, such as dementia, depression, and even an increased stroke risk.
- Contusion – a contusion is a bruise on the side of the brain that can occur as a result of impact.
- Whiplash – whiplash is caused by a sudden back and forth movement of the head, which can stretch and damage the neck.
- Skull fractures
- Brain hemorrhages – bleeding on the brain
- Hypoxia – a lack of oxygen to the brain
- Secondary impact syndrome (SIS) – SIS can occur when a person sustains a second traumatic brain injury before he or she has healed from the first traumatic brain injury. SIS can result in massive swelling of the brain and, in some cases, can lead to loss of blood flow to the brain and death.
Common Causes of Head Injuries
Head injuries can be caused by a variety of accidents, such as the following:
- Auto accidents
- Trucking accidents
- Bus accidents
- Train accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Aviation accidents
- Birth injuries
- Slips and falls
- Construction accidents
- Sports injuries