Call Today For A Free Consultation(713) 829-4317
Houston Hazardous Materials Spill Lawyer
Tanker truck accidents involving the spill or leakage of hazardous materials can do devastating damage to a community’s environment and personal property. They can also grievously injure anyone who comes into contact with the contaminated material. The impact of a hazardous materials spill may also range far beyond those individuals injured in a collision with a tanker truck. From January through November 2017, the Pipeline and Hazardous Safety Materials Administration recorded 3,767 accidents that occurred while transporting hazardous cargo. In many cases, these involved hazardous cargo spilling from the vehicle and creating a significant risk of exposure to those involved in the accident, emergency crews, and other people in the area
Hazardous Materials Defined
Dangers of Tanker Trucks Spilling Hazardous Material
- Driver Fatigue
- Reckless Driving
- Poor Maintenance
The Impacts of Hazardous Materials Spills
- Environmental Impact — A serious hazmat spill can seriously impact the health of those in the immediate vicinity of a tanker truck accident. Toxic materials can also have an invasive effect on nearby streams, rivers, and lakes, and can even seep into the water tables before cleanup can be effectively begun. Impacts to the environment can also include long-term physical property damage, negative financial consequences, and a drop in the value of property in a community due to the perceived effects of pollution.
- Inhaled Contaminants — Vaporous materials such as gasoline fumes or toxic gasses travel easily through the air and risk injuring nearby residents who are exposed. Moreover, people may come into contact with hazardous gasses before they are alerted to the accident or evacuated. In the case of a gas like carbon monoxide, the results may even be fatal in large doses.
- Direct Contact to Toxic Chemicals — Direct skin and eye contact with chemicals, toxic materials, or radioactive substances can result in short-term damage, long-term injuries and ongoing health complications.
- Loss of Residence — Neighborhoods and communities can be destroyed outright or rendered uninhabitable while government agencies work to mitigate the effects of a spill of hazardous materials. Families displaced from their homes incur an unfair financial burden of paying for a temporary residence as well as maintaining their mortgage or rental payments each month. Residents permanently displaced by a hazmat incident may also be unable to replace their home with an equally comfortable domicile. It can take months or even years to fully clean up an area.
- Property Damage — In addition to the loss of their homes, families can lose property in fires that result from a tanker truck accident. Corrosive or radioactive materials can also render personal property to such a degree that it is damaged beyond saving.
Precautions After A Hazardous Material Tanker Truck Spill
- Respiratory Issues - as a result of inhaling toxic fumes from chemicals
- Burns - resulting from a chemical fire
- Broken Bones - from the initial crash
Contact Our Houston Tanker Truck Hazardous Material Spill Lawyer Today
Attorney, John D. Pascoe and the Pascoe Law Firm, is responsible for the content on this website, principal office and only office located in Friendswood, Texas. Servicing: Alvin, Angleton, Atascocita, Austin, Bay City, Bacliff, Baytown, Beaumont, Bellaire, Brazoria County, Brookside Village, Brownsville, Clute, Conroe, Clear Lake, Clear Lake Shores, Chambers County, Corpus Christi, Channelview, Cypress, Dallas, Danbury Dickinson, Deer Park, East Houston, El Largo, Freeport, Friendswood, Fresno, Fort Bend County, Fort Worth, Galveston, Galveston County, Greenspoint, Gulfgate, Harris County, Hitchcock, Houston, Houston Heights, Huffman, Humble, Huntsville, Harlingen, Jefferson County, Katy, Kemah, Lake Jackson, La Marque, La Porte, League City, Laredo, Liberty County, Manvel, Memorial City Houston, Midtown Houston, Missouri City, Montgomery County, Montrose Houston, McAllen, Nassau Bay, North Houston, Orange, Pasadena, Port Bolivar, Port Arthur, Pearland, Richmond, Rice Village, River Oaks, Rosenberg, Rosharon, Rio Grande Valley, Santa Fe, San Antonio, San Leon, Seabrook, Shoreacres, Sienna Plantation, South Houston, Sugar Land, Southbelt Ellington, Spring, South Padre Island, Texas City, Taylor Lake Village, The Woodlands, Tiki Island, Tomball, Victoria, Uptown Houston Galleria, Webster, West Columbia, West University Place, Weihmar, and throughout Texas.