Call Today For A Free ConsultationPhone: 713-829-4317
Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents are one of the top causes of death and serious injury according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In 2011, car accidents caused 32,367 fatalities with 2.22 million people being seriously injured from the car accident. In 2011 an average of 3.7 people died in a car crash every hour and an additional 253 people become injured. Car accidents cost the U.S. $230.6 billion per year, or an average of $820 per person. In a report from the CDC, the estimated lifetime costs for the injuries and deaths from one year of car accidents in the U.S. can be more than $70 billion.
Common Causes of Car Accident
- Impairment of Alcohol and or Drugs: Drunk driving or driver impairment is typically is associated with drug or alcohol use. The Insurance Information Institute has cataloged the most dangerous driver behaviors. Per a 2014 NHTSA study, 40% of accidents involve alcohol. The National Institute on Drug Abuse found that more than 10 million people admitted to driving while under the influence of illegal drugs. Teens have higher accident rates than older drivers. Per the CDC, drivers 16 to 19 years old are three times more likely to die in a car crash than drivers over 20. Many do not fully realize how a substance can impair their driving ability. Many will have a couple of drinks and think they are fine to drive. Unfortunately, these drivers are often wrong and the substance that they can consume cause their focus and abilities to slow slightly. Even a slight impact could be enough to delay ones reaction time causing a car accident to occur. It’s important to remember that buzzed driving is drunk driving. Additional types of impairment that could cause a car accident to occur include: use of other illegal substances, prescription drugs, or even over the counter pharmacy medications.
- Driver Fatigue: one of the most common impairments that can cause a car accident is from fatigue or lack of sleep. Sleepiness also makes drivers worse. A 2014 study conducted by AAA, found that fatigue contributed to 21% of all fatal traffic accidents on U.S. roads. USA Today reported that nearly 1,500 drivers flee the scene of fatal crashes each year. Failure to see others also kills. Many accidents occur when drivers don’t check their blind spot or fail to spot other vehicles or pedestrians. Before you get behind the wheel please make sure that can focus on driving, the road, and other drivers and that you are not fatigued or sleepy which might cause a motor vehicle accident to occur.
- Mechanical Failure and Defective Design: Defective car parts are becoming another frequent cause for car accidents to occur on Texas roadways. Auto manufacturers and parts suppliers indirectly cause thousands of collisions because of defective or poor product designs. Common mechanical parts that fail include steering and suspension; tires and brakes; and lighting.With the recent “recalls” from different car manufactures it is not uncommon that a faulty vehicle party could be the reason that a car collision has resulted. A defective car part might include parts such as: seat belts, accelerator controls, electrical wiring, wheels, tire blowouts, or brake failure. If any of these important aspect of your or another drivers car fails it could lead to a fatal car accident or serious injuries. If a violent car collision occurs the damage might not just be limited to your car but could include physical injury to your body. Roads damaged with potholes and uneven pavement increase the potential for blowing out tires or causing other mechanical failures. Inaccurate or incorrect signage can influence drivers and place construction workers and travelers in perilous positions. Malfunctioning traffic lights increase the risk of intersection collisions. Construction zone errors endanger passing motorists and workers.
- Bad Weather: Weather can cause be a factor that causes a car accident. While a car accident might occur on a beautiful day and on a perfect road. Often times auto accidents are the result of poor road conditions or because of bad weather. It seems that wherever you drive on the Texas roadways from League City down to Galveston the road conditions are always under construction. Uneven pavement or potholes could contribute to a vehicle accident. Whenever a driver is forced to swerve suddenly to avoid hitting a foreign obstacle or a poor road condition it can cause the driver to over-correct causing the vehicle to slide while they are trying to regain control. If you add in weather conditions such as heavy rain you end up with a recipe for a common cause of car accidents. Common weather hazards include: heavy fog, which impairs visibility; snow and ice, which impairs directional control and creates special problems on bridges and elevated roads; rain and flooding, which obviously makes roads slippery but also reduces visibility conditions and creates conditions for hydroplaning; and morning and evening glare, which leads to dangers such as sun blinding.
- Speed: Speeding is the final and most common cause of car accidents that our Car Accident Lawyer encounters. In the above mentioned study by the NHTSA, as many as 28% of traffic fatality accidents involve speeding. Drivers speeding and unable to stop in time to prevent an accident. Speeding is a dangerous risk that can have serious consequences. When drivers speed past the speed limit that is set for a roadway they are endangering themselves and other motorists. Many drivers might be running late and speed to try and make up time. However, this unsafe risk is a common cause for car accidents in the Galveston and League City areas. When a driver’s speed exceed the speed limit it can become difficult for drivers to stop suddenly. Because of the elevated speed a lot of car accidents occur because the driver simply have enough time to come to a complete stop. While it might seem like a minor bump, even a minor car accident can cause serious injuries from the collision. Car accidents can cause all sorts of injuries. Some crashes might only result in a minor bump, bruising, or soreness. Unfortunately, other motor vehicle collisions can cause devastating and life changing result is just the blink of an eye. At the Pascoe Law Firm our Attorney helps people who have been hurt due to a car wreck.
Guide for Dealing with Injuries Sustained in a Texas Car Accident
Get Medical Attention As Soon As Possible
Call the Police and Get a Police Report Following an Auto Accident
Don't Admit Fault
Exchange Information and Gather Information
Talk To An Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
Protect Your Rights After A Car Wreck
How Long Does A Car Accident Case Take in Texas?
- Nature and degree of injury
- Whether or not medical treatment is still ongoing
- The backlog in the court system
Dealing With Insurance Companies After a Car Accident
- Gather information at the scene that can be used in your claim
- Take pictures and video of your injuries and property damage.
- Notify your insurance company of the crash as soon as possible (We recommend for you have lawyer to do this for you)
- Talk to an insurance company before you speak with a lawyer
- Apologize or admit fault to the other driver or insurance company
- Accept the first settlement offer from an insurance company
Houston / Galveston Area Car Accident Resource Center
Causes of Car Accidents
Common Car Accident Injuries
Types of Car Accidents
Ride Sharing Accidents
Car Accident Law and How It Might Apply To Your Case
Many people who face legal challenges have questions about their legal rights following a car crash. The Pascoe Law Firm's lawyer is happy to answer your legal questions you might have about your particular situation. Our League City Car Accident Lawyer protects the rights of car accident injury victims as well as passengers who might have only been riding in the car. Our Law Office handles a wide variety of of car accidents such as, people injured in a car accident. Each case is unique, but generally you will need to show that there is a duty, breach of duty, causation, and damages to win your car accident case.
How Much Is My Car Accident Case Worth?
The Car Accident Process
Your Medical Care
The Scene, the Police Report, and Notification
Paperwork and Phone Calls
A Denied Insurance Claim or a Settlement Offer
Demanding Appropriate Compensation
Settling Your Case or Going to Trial
Lawyer for Car Accidents in Texas
Contact Our Texas Car Accident Attorney
Car Accident - Research and Reports - Galveston County / League City
Areas We Service For Car Accidents
Attorney, John D. Pascoe and the Pascoe Law Firm, is responsible for the content on this website, principal office and only office located in Friendswood, Texas. Servicing: Alvin, Angleton, Atascocita, Bay City, Bacliff, Baytown, Beaumont, Bellaire, Brazoria County, Brookside Village, Clute, Conroe, Clear Lake, Clear Lake Shores, Chambers County, Channelview, Cypress, Danbury Dickinson, Deer Park, East Houston, El Largo, Freeport, Friendswood, Fresno, Fort Bend County, Galveston, Galveston County, Greenspoint, Gulfgate, Harris County, Hitchcock, Houston, Houston Heights, Huffman, Humble, Huntsville, Jefferson County, Katy, Kemah, Lake Jackson, La Marque, La Porte, League City, Liberty County, Manvel, Memorial City Houston, Midtown Houston, Missouri City, Montgomery County, Montrose Houston, Nassau Bay, North Houston, Pasadena, Port Bolivar, Port Arthur, Pearland, Richmond, Rice Village, River Oaks, Rosenberg, Rosharon, Santa Fe, San Leon, Seabrook, Shoreacres, Sienna Plantation, South Houston, Sugar Land, Southbelt Ellington, Spring, Texas City, Taylor Lake Village, The Woodlands, Tiki Island, Tomball, Victoria, Uptown Houston Galleria, Webster, West Columbia, West University Place and throughout Texas.
Pascoe Law Firm Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 66 reviews.