Pascoe Law FirmCAR ACCIDENT LAWYER
Principal office located in Friendswood, Texas.
Available to service League City, Webster, Pearland, Galveston, and the surrounding areas within Texas.
Alvin Car Accident Lawyer
Proudly Servicing Alvin, TX
What Are Key Things You Need to Know If You Have a Car Accident?
- Always stop if you are involved in an accident, this is your legal obligation. Even if you do not think there was any damage, any time you collide with something, you need to stop your car.
- Never admit responsibility for the accident. Your insurance policy is a contract, and your contract for your insurance with your car insurance company states that you must not assume responsibility or liability under these circumstances. If you expect the insurance company to take care of your claim, let them do the talking.
How to Determine the Extent of Damage or Injuries?
Check to see if anyone needs urgent medical care. If you can, try not to move the vehicles unless they are causing a major problem with traffic. If possible, wait for the police before moving anything.
- Contact the Police– even in a minor accident, it is important to make sure there is a legal accident report.
- Limit Your Conversation about the Accident with the Other Party– it is important to limit your discussion of the accident and not to admit any fault or liability. You should only talk about the accident with the police, medical professionals and your insurance representative.
- Get the Facts of Your Car Accident– this is the part most people know to do but often forget due to the stress of the accident.
Car Accident Information Checklist
1. Car Accident Form
- The best way to be prepared in a car accident is to get a car accident form used to collect all the information at the scene of an accident from your local DMV or police station.
- Every state has a different form, so it is a good idea to get one to make things as easy as possible. A car accident is really stressful and the last thing you need is to be worrying about the information you need to fill out.
2. List of Information to Collect After a Car Accident About the Driver
- Name of Driver
- Address of Driver
- Phone number or other contact information
3. List of Information to Collect About the Other Driver’s Insurance Company in a Car Accident
You need the basic information here which can be found on their proof of insurance card. Get the other driver’s:
- Insurance company name
- Insurance company policy number
4. List of Information to Collect About the Other Car Involved in the Accident
- Vehicle Description, Make, Model and Year – Consider taking photos for your own record if it is possible.
- Vehicle registration information
- License plate number
5. List of Information to Collect About the Car Accident or Collision
- Date and Time of the Accident
- Address of the accident, or approximate address
- Road you are on and the nearest cross street
- The direction you were traveling in
- The direction the other car was traveling in
- Take photos from a few angles or sketch a diagram of the crash scene
- What happened (As soon as you can write out your account of what happened, or use your mobile phone to record yourself telling all the details for your own records. It’s easy to forget the details when you are all shaken up from a crash, so recording you talking about it might help).
- Any notes regarding the driving conditions, the weather, visibility
- Any witnesses’ names and contact information
- The name, badge number, and contact information for any police officer who comes to the accident
What Should NOT Be Included in Your Accident Report?
How to File Your Car Accident Claim?
Here’s the information you will need to file a proper insurance claim:
- Information about what happened
- Information about the driver
- Information for insurance
Should I Hire A Car Accident Lawyer?
Should You Use a Mobile Phone to Take Photos at a Car Accident
Statistical Information Related to Car Accident
Texas needs extra attention to improve traffic safety and reduce injuries. Below is a list of accident statistics showing factors that need improvement to prevent injuries from car accidents.
- Injuries / Fatalities – In 2017, there were 14,892 serious injuries and 3,722 traffic fatalities.
- Impaired Driving – There were 1,468 alcohol-impaired driving fatalities in Texas in 2017. Texas ranks in the top 10 states nationally for alcohol-related fatalities
- Safety Belts – Texas recorded 984 unrestrained passenger fatalities in 2018, up from 928 in 2017. Texas’ safety belt usage rate for 2018 is 91.34% using the approved survey methodology in TTI’s statewide survey for front seat drivers and passengers.
- Speeding – Of the 3,722 crash fatalities in 2017, 1,029 (27.6%) were speed-related fatalities (FARS).
- The issue of distracted driving is in the news on a state, local, and national level. Communication device misuse includes all forms of mobile phones and digital devices. Texting, talking, emailing, and internet use has become more prevalent.
Damages from A Car Accident
Determining Damages Following A Car Accident With A Lawyer
Common Types of Car Accidents
Our car accident attorney in Alvin handle all types of vehicle accidents and related liability, including but not limited to: